Wednesday, December 14, 2011

My healthier version of Loaded Potato Soup






Okay, so the word "loaded" gives off kind of a fattening vibe, doesn't it? 


I mean I can already feel my pants getting snugger with just the mere thought of said heaped upon goodness going into my belly. A belly that, I might add,  hasn't been completely flat since...umm ever. 


Of course, there's nothing wrong with indulging every once in a while, but during this time of year, sneaking some extra calories can be a riskier proposition than usual. With all the delicious junk already going around, it's way too easy to consume A LOT more than we'd like.


So what's the solution? 


Well, you could cut out any potentially naughty nom noms and eat like a bird until January. (Thumbs down from me.)


OR ...


Figure out a way to make healthier duplicates of your favorite foods! 


That option keeps me from feeling deprived and also offers a way to burn off all the excess imaginative energy I have lying around. Sadly, that particular "burning off" doesn't apply to my waistline...


Anyhow, here's my new and improved loaded potato soup, that cuts down on the fat without compromising flavor. Oh, and did I mention it's a breeze to make? All right, let's grab a bag of potatoes and get started, shall we?


You'll need:


 -A dozen large potatoes
-3 chicken bouillon cubes or  2-3 cups of reduced sodium chicken broth
-2-3 cups coconut milk or regular milk works fine too, but will add more calories
-2-3 tbsp butter or  margarine
-Seasonings to taste-garlic and onion powder, salt, pepper, parsley
-1 cup Plain greek yogurt-any brand
-Turkey bacon
-Scallions
-Low fat cheddar cheese



To begin, peel and cut potatoes into big chunks, placing them in a large pot over your stove. Fill with almost enough water to cover the potatoes then add bouillon cubes, two cups of coconut milk, butter, and seasonings. Let cook down until potatoes are soft, and liquid is thicker/more blended in. Use a masher to smush up half the potato chunks and add about 1/2-1 cup greek yogurt to pot, mixing well. The soup mixture can tend to thicken quickly, so you may want to add an extra cup or two of coconut milk to achieve desired consistency. Taste the end result to see if it needs more seasoning. Ladle into bowls and serve with pieces of scallion,  turkey bacon, cheese, and/or any other topping you'd like. 





What favorite recipes have you given a "makeover" to? Or are there any you'd like to see re-done in a healthier way? I love receiving new tips and suggestions so please share some of yours with me. And let me know how the soup turned out for you!



Until next time...blessings!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...