Saturday, December 24, 2011

What will you be eating Christmas morning?


Do you have a favorite breakfast staple or food tradition  your family has passed down over the years?

Growing up, my mom always made a braided Christmas bread, filled with nuts and raisins,  plus an egg glaze on top. I recall how much fun it was splitting the dough into various sections, before twisting them together into an intricate design of our choosing. Sometimes, we even got our own little loaf to eat ahead of time, while the big one was baking in the oven...

With our bread, we'd have a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice-then the pestering to open gifts began.  We might have had other things to eat also, but that bread is the only thing which firmly stands out in my mind. Although it's been years since I tasted it, but my nose can almost pick up the scent if I concentrate hard enough. I'd dearly love to put together another loaf and share it with my family so I can continue the tradition. Hopefully, next Christmas. :)

If you'd like to create a braided bread of your own, here's a recipe I found that looks very similar to the one my mom made. Unfortunately, we lost her original recipe, but this seems like a good enough substitute. If you make it, let me know how it turns out! :)







http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/braided-christmas-bread-679134/








But until then, I plan on trying these cheese danish tomorrow morning. They look easy and fun, plus crescents and cheese are always a delicious combo. Yum!



http://kitchengirljo.blogspot.com/2009/07/easy-cheese-danish.html



No matter what ends up on your table, here's hoping you and your family enjoy some amazing food with a side of Christmas cheer!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...